Welcome to the Marys River Quilt Guild
September Meeting 2017
Block of the Month
Show and Tell
The Program: Mary Arnold
Art Quilt Techniques
Mary’s River Quilt Guild
General Meeting, September 28, 2017
President Barbara G. began the General meeting with announcements.
· Four new members joined today. Welcome, Sandy, Sara, Joann and Susan
· Oct 7 is Chocolate Fantasy for the Arts. Beth is working on this fundraiser and encourages you to buy your tickets on the Art Center website. $40 each. At the event it will go up to $50. Amazing auction items.
· Thank you Beth Reitveld for volunteering your driveway last Saturday to sell raffle tickets on the first day of Fall Festival. Sold $101 worth of tickets.
· Treasurer wants to close this year’s bills. If you have expenses that need reimbursement, please hand them in by the October meeting. In addition, please submit your volunteer hours.
· Library Quilt County show needs help to take it down in Corvallis. If you can help Thursday, October 5th at 4:00 pm, we look forward to you just showing up.
· Raffle tickets at back table to take and sell. Please return the tickets you have checked out by the October meeting. This is the meeting where we draw for the quilt.
· Looking for a slate of volunteers to run for VP and Secretary. The election is in November. The slate of the volunteers will be available at the October meeting.
Hospitality: Fat quarters were won by Sharon F. Gift certificate by Libby.
Block of the Month: This month is Rainbows. Blocks this month were won by Cindy G. 2018 Slate will be available on the Website by November.
Raffle quilt 2017: Encouraged membership to sell raffle tickets. Post on Facebook, use your social media. Take packets home. We have lost two major venues this year and need your help.
Raffle quilt 2018: Top was shown and is being quilted by Jean. Top was made in honor of the OSU 150th anniversary occurring in 2018.
QnG: Six gardens have been selected. Date is July 21, 2018. Jan A. will coordinate a quilt sale at one of the gardens to benefit the guild and possibly an outside organization TBA. Think about selling a small quilt to benefit the guild. Recruitment of volunteers to help in the gardens will begin in January. Jan T. is applying for a Grant to help with the cost of putting this event on.
Secret Sisters: Debbie G. reports they had a nice picnic at Maple Grove shelter. It was an opportunity to get to know each other better. October is the Halloween event hosted by Wendi. Recruiting for next year – must be a member; the group rotates through homes and offsite venues, may take summer off. It is an opportunity to meet people in a small group setting and make new friends within the Guild. First meeting is January. Sign up by November meeting.
Round Robin: Cindy reports that the group just finished their 2017 series of meetings. The finished projects will be shown at the Guild at the October meeting and they are very excited about them. It’s time to start thinking about next year. It is an opportunity to meet people in a small group setting and make new friends within the Guild. First meeting is January and then they meet every two months through August. She gave a brief discussion of the committee. She has a frequently asked question sheet if you are interested and want to know more. You must sign up by Dec 31 and be a member of the Guild. All meetings take place at Cindy’s house.
Challenge: You have until November meeting to finish your quilt.
Quilt County 2017: Displays are up and plenty of brochures are available to hand out at your favorite quilt stores and service organizations. Some of the shows are starting to be taken down. Many end around Sept 30. Museum has had record attendance for their show; it will be taken down October 14th.
Library: Several new books on the Library table.
Service: Carol F. and the service committee displayed recently handed in quilts that have been returned after being worked on by guild members. There are quilts ready for members to quilt and bind in the back. In addition, there is a table of free magazines; patterns, books and fabric for sale. Our on-going Quilts of Valor project to provide wall hangings for Hospice Veterans is continuing and there is 4th of July themed fabric available for free for you to use in that project. They are requesting additional quilts in a smaller size (17 x 17 square). We have packets to make pillowcases with handles for Love, Inc to provide to foster children to carry around their belongings. In October, we will have a slide show and two speakers. Philomath library has the Service committee Quilt county show until mid October.
Show and Tell: Only one show and tell!
BOM: This month was Rainbows. October is a Bat. This month’s blocks was won by: Cindy G.
Program: October meeting will feature Service committee report (Hospice – Lumina and one other recipient organization will speak), Round Robin show and tell, small silent auction and drawing for the Raffle Quilt. Challenge quilts will be moved to November. You have one more month to finish those challenges!
Mary Arnold is guest speaker for September and will discuss Art quilt techniques – how to get there from here. Her quilts are on the stage for your review before her talk.
Next General Meeting is October 26 at 7:00 pm.
Next Board Meeting is November 1 at the Wine Vault at 6:30 pm
Minutes respectfully submitted by Lisa U.